A terrace of three houses and a corner shop built in 1858 on the site of St Cuthberts Church.
Steep Hill consists of independent shops, tea rooms and pub and in 2011, Steep Hill was named "Britain’s Best Place" by the Academy of Urbanism.
The central (and steepest) part of the route is unsuited to any form of vehicle, and only passable on foot. A handrail is provided along this section.
Steep Hill along with Strait was created when the line of Ermine Street was diverted to the east in the 11th century. The route is part of the Roman route from the ford over the River Witham to the Forum in modern Bailgate, and thus the final part of Ermine Street.
The name is an 18th century creation. Previously named after the poultry market, The Poultry (14th century), Polther Hill and the Pultry (16th century). John Speeds original 1607 survey plan names it Bore Hill.
The part between Well Lane and Strait was called Foot of the Hill in 1826. While the section between Danesgate and Well Lane was recorded as Bowers Hill in 1856.
Tagged: , Lincoln , Lincolnshire , Midlands , East Midlands , England , English , UK , United Kingdom , GB , Great Britain , Britain , British , Steep Hill , Steep , Hill , Road , Street , Cobbled Street , path , pathway , footpath , public Footpath , bridleway , urban , Britain’s Best Place , Academy of Urbanism , Ermine Street , Iter VI of the Antonine Itinerary , Iter Britanniarum , Bower Hill , Bowyers Hill , Bowers Hill , Foot of the Hill , The Poultry , Polther Hill , Pultry , Dorrian Lamberts Antique Dealer , Dorrian Lamberts , Antique Dealer , 64-65 Steep Hill , 62-65 Steep Hill , St Cuthberts Church